African Water Resources Mobility Network Scholarship Programme is now open to suitably qualified and outstanding candidates to apply for full-time study in any of the Master of Science/ Master of Technology (MSc/MTech) academic mobility scholarship programmes of AWaRMN in any of the Higher Education Institutions within the partnership.
African Water Resources Mobility Network (AWaRMN) MSc Scholarship Programme Details
Group 1: Students who are registered or have obtained a degree from any of the AWaRMN partner institutions: RU, UNIKIN, FUTMINNA, MU, ENSH.
Group 2: Students who are registered or have obtained a degree from any Higher Education Institution (HEI) established in an African Union Member State apart from AWaRMN partner institutions.
Type of Mobility (Scholarships)
Degree-seeking Mobility (Long-term study that leads to an award of an MSc/MTech degree).
Value of Scholarship
For successful applicants, AWaRMN funding will cover the following areas:
- Participation costs (e.g. tuition/registration fees) of students.
- Research costs (e.g. fieldwork, laboratory consumables).
- Subsistence allowance: MSc/MTech: 600 Euro per month.
- Special allowance to female students for mobility equal or more than 2 academic years, viz – MSc/MTech: 600 Euro per year.
- Economy class roundtrip flight ticket and visa costs
- Insurance (Health, accident and travel)
- One-off settling-in allowance upon arrival to cover installation costs, viz – MSc/MTech: 600 Euro.
African Water Resources Mobility Network Partner Institutions:
Rhodes University, South Africa (RU)
- MSc Water Resource Science
- MSc Hydrology
Federal University of Technology, Minna, Nigeria (FUTMINNA)
- MTech Applied Hydrobiology
- MTech Hydrogeology
Makerere University, Uganda (MU)
- MSc Chemistry
The University of Kinshasa, Congo (UNIKIN)
- MSc Water Resources
To be eligible for support from AWaRMN, applicants must:
- be a national of an African Union member state and resident in Africa at the time of application.
- meet both institutional and partnership requirements for admission.
- not have benefited from any form of previous support from Intra-Africa Academic Mobility Scheme, or Intra-ACP Mobility or Erasmus or Erasmus + programmes
- must be prepared to move from home country to another country where AWaRM has a partner institution. This also applies to foreign applicants who reside in a country with AWaRMN institution. For such applicants, you must then consider applying to a third country. For example, you are a Ugandan, but resides in South Africa or have studied in South Africa, you can not apply to Rhodes University in South Africa or Makerere in Uganda. Scholarships are attached to mobility.
- The scholarship is attached to mobility and therefore you can not apply to an institution in the country where you are a citizen or where you resides.
- If your previous degree is from a University outside of an African Union member state, you do not qualify.
- Female applicants, people with a disability or people from a socio-economically disadvantaged background are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Applicants must also fulfil the academic eligibility criteria of the partner institution(s) of their choice. Please read the Eligibility Criteria of the Partner Institutions document. You can find it here
The following documents need to be included in your application:
- Certified copies of academic degrees and official transcripts. Due to the COVID-19 situation, we will accept unofficial document detailing all your courses and grades/marks obtained, including final grade point average or marks). However, if you are selected, we will require the official transcript, without which we will be unable to make a final offer to you.
- 2 paged CV,
- 250 words motivation stating why you should be awarded a scholarship,
- a formal identity document e.g. passport, national identity card, driver license or any other officially recognized form of identification indicating your nationality,
- two reference letters (one academic and one non-academic). The academic referee must be able to attest to your academic standing. The reference letters must be submitted via the application system.
How to Apply
Applicants are encouraged to begin the application process early enough to avoid the last-minute rush. Remember to click on the submit button.
- Applications with incomplete or incorrect information will not be considered.
- Applications via email will be deemed ineligible and will NOT be considered.
- Applicants will be informed about the outcome of the competitive selection process by email by 21 September 2020.
- Due to the COVID-19 situation, successful candidates will be expected to resume their study for the 2021 academic session on a rolling basis depending on the institutional circumstances.
Visit the Official Webpage for more details
Deadline for submission of application is 16 August 2020 at 11:59 PM (SAST).