The Ashinaga Africa Initiative is for African students including Nigerians who wish to pursue undergraduate studies abroad in countries like the United States of America (USA), United Kingdom, Japan etc . The countries where the successful candidates will pursue their studies will be decided after being selected for the scholarship.
Ashinaga scholarship is fully-funded and covers
- travel costs, and
- other necessary fees.
- Have lost one or both parents.
- Have completed secondary school and passed national secondary school examination (technical and vocational degrees not accepted) within the last two years (any date after 1st September 2018, including all of 2019 and 2020) or will have completed secondary school and received final exam results before February 28th, 2021.
- Have citizenship and have completed/are completing high school in one of the following countries: Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, CAR, Cameroon, Chad, Comoros, Côte d’Ivoire, Djibouti, DRC, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Gabon, Ghana, Guinea Conakry, Kenya, Kingdom of eSwatini, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Republic of Congo, Rwanda, Sénégal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Seychelles, Sudan, Tanzania, The Gambia, Togo, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
- Were born after 1st September 1998.
- Do not have the means to attend university abroad without external financial support.
- Are proficient in English or French.
- Are regularly ranked in the top 10% of their class during their last 2 or 3 years of secondary school. Students without strong grades are unlikely to be successful.
- Are able to participate in the two Ashinaga preparatory programs, over the course of one year, before attending university.
- Are committed to return home, or to Sub-Saharan Africa, and contribute to society in Sub-Saharan Africa after graduating from university.
- Have no dependents who could interfere with academic progress.
- Have a good enough health condition to be able to study abroad.
- Copy of national ID card or passport.
- Copy of term reports / high school for your final year of school.
- Copy of final Secondary School Examination Certificate**
**For students receiving their examination results after February 19th 2021 and before February 28th 2021 we will ask you to send your examination certificate if you are invited to submit the application for the program.
- Copy of all term reports / high school transcripts from the last 2 years.
- Copy of final Secondary School Examination Certificate (if you did not submit it with your registration form)
- Copy of academic transcripts / diplomas from university / post-secondary institution, (if applicable).
- Copy of death certificate of deceased parent(s), including the deceased parent’s name, or alternative official documentation proving the death of parent(s) or orphan status.
- Copy of birth certificate of the applicant.
- Copies of certificates for extracurricular activities, training courses, jobs or commitments (if applicable).
- A letter of recommendation from a principal or school teacher. This should be inclusive of their email address, phone number and must contain information about your performance and character whilst at secondary school. All recommendation letters should contain an official signature or stamp.
How To Apply For Ashinaga International Scholarship
There are three ways to apply for the Ashinaga Africa Initiative, although we prefer online applications or those sent by email. The three application methods and the steps are outlined below. Choose either online, email, or by post as your application method. There is no application fee, and you must never pay anyone to apply or to apply on your behalf.
|Step 1||Gather all the required documents, except for the application form.||Click here to download the english application form||Click here to download the english application form,or ask for the form from your local Japanese embassy.|
|Step 2||Scan the required documents in either PDF or JPG format.||Print the application form and fill it out.||Print the application form and fill it out.|
|Step 3||Click here to apply online||Scan the completed application form and the other required documents in either PDF or JPG format.||Make photocopies of your completed application form and all other required documents|
|Step 4||Application complete||Email your scanned documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org Use your name and country as the email title.||Send all photocopies to the following address: Ashinaga Africa Initiative Recruitment Team P. O. Box 16864 – Kampala, UGANDA Do not send original documents, copies only.|
|Step 5||–||Application complete||Application complete|
NOTE: There is no application fee, and you must never pay anyone to apply or to apply on your behalf. Please note that if you apply by post, all submitted documents will not be returned to you. Therefore, you must send copies of documents ONLY.
Application Deadline: 19th February 2021