The Global Health Advocacy Incubator is a partner of Resolve to Save Lives (RTSL), an initiative of Vital Strategies that seek to save 100 million lives by implementing proven solutions to prevent heart disease and stroke. GHAI’s mandate under RTSL is to support policies in select low-and middle-income countries that improve cardiovascular health and to assist in-country partners in advocating for the passage and implementation of such policies. GHAI supports civil society organizations that advocate for public health policies that reduce death and disease.
The program offers strategic support to develop and execute advocacy campaigns to pass laws and policies that save lives. This mission is accomplished by providing training and technical assistance for organizations working on public health policy, identifying new partners where needed, and assisting in the development and implementation of strategic advocacy campaigns to promote the adoption and implementation of public health policies.
Application is invited for;
Job Title: Nigeria Advocacy Coordinator
Location: Abuja Municipal, Federal Capital Territory, Nigeria
The Advocacy Coordinator for Nigeria will be based in Abuja, Nigeria–have direct oversight of the project, and will support in-country partners to carry out a coordinated advocacy campaign that ultimately leads to policy change. The Advocacy Coordinator, reports to GHAI’s Country Lead for Nigeria in our Washington, D.C. office, and works closely with GHAI’s RTSL technical team, as well as with partners on the ground. This is a full-time position.
Primary Duties Include
- Act as the primary liaison between GHAI and implementing partners in-country.
- Coordinate work of in-country grantees and contractors to advance GHAI-supported work in Nigeria.
- Assist partners to develop and implement work plans that feed into a coordinated overarching advocacy strategy, leverages each partner’s strengths, and minimizes duplication.
- Monitor partner performance to ensure deliverables are met and help modify work plans as needed.
- Provide and/or facilitate technical assistance to partners as needed.
- Continuously appraise the policy landscape, including potential opposition, and ensure that partners are taking advantage of opportunities.
- Help builds strategic relationships with government, non-government and other organizations that have a stake in cardiovascular health.
- Represent GHAI at key meetings with partners, policymakers and grantees, and ensure that GHAI policy positions and priorities are fully communicated to all stakeholders.
- Hold regular strategy discussion calls and meetings with the GHAI team to discuss the progress of work, as requested.
- Facilitate regular, in-person meetings with partners, and telephone meetings between partners and GHAI.
- Produce quality and timely reports on activities and other deliverables for the assigned portfolio of work, and report against established targets, and
- Perform other duties as requested by the Global Health Advocacy Incubator team.
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in public health or public policy; law degree or other related degrees with a focus on health highly desirable.
- A minimum of 10 years of professional experience coordinating and managing projects, including advocacy or policy change.
- Proven ability to develop and work in partnership with multiple stakeholders with government stakeholders, NGO partners, and international organizations at various levels.
- Demonstrated success in planning and conducting advocacy activities (eg. direct engagement of decision-makers, media advocacy, public actions) ideally on health-related policies, including planning and conducting advocacy campaigns to achieve policy outcomes.
- Ability to strategize with and coordinate multiple organizations working toward a policy goal.
- Strong understanding of government policy-making processes and players.
- Interest in public health, commitment to public interest work, and experience on cardiovascular health and nutrition policy issues – including food regulation and testing – a plus.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment while juggling multiple projects and deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate (verbally and in writing) complex issues in a concise, compelling, and easily understandable manner.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Proven ability to work effectively and collaboratively as a member of a dynamic and dispersed team.
- Ability to work effectively and to report and communicate regularly and promptly with the supervisor in a long-distance management set-up.
- A track record of working in an empowering and culturally sensitive style with an array of NGOs, government officials and partners.
- Proven ability to translate organizational program strategies, priorities, plans, and budgets into result-oriented activity plans at country-level.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply for this position, please email a cover letter, including salary history, and attach your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference the position code: ACN/ 14-6010 [MOU1]
Note: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcome applications from individuals who will contribute to its diversity.
For more details, visit the Official Webpage of Global Health Advocacy Incubator