The Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS) Established by the Research Grants Council (RGC) of Hong Kong in 2009, aims at attracting the best and brightest students in the world to pursue their PhD studies in Hong Kong’s universities.
300 PhD Fellowships will be awarded in the 2021/22 academic year. Applicants should demonstrate outstanding qualities of academic performance, research ability/potential, communication and interpersonal skills, and leadership abilities.
The Fellowship provides;
- an annual stipend of HK$319,200 (approximately US$40,900)
- a conference and research-related travel allowance of HK$13,300 (approximately US$1,700) per year for each awardee for a period up to three years.
- For awardees who need more than three years to complete the PhD degree, additional support may be provided by the chosen universities. For details, please contact the universities concerned directly.
Candidates who are seeking admission as new full-time PhD students in the following eight universities, irrespective of their country of origin, prior work experience and ethnic background, should be eligible to apply.
- City University of Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Baptist University
- Lingnan University
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- The Education University of Hong Kong
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- The University of Hong Kong
While candidates’ academic excellence is of primary consideration, the Selection Panels will take into account factors as follows:
- Academic excellence;
- Research ability and potential;
- Communication and interpersonal skills; and
- Leadership abilities.
How to Apply
Eligible candidates should first make an Initial Application online through the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme Electronic System (HKPFSES) to obtain an HKPFS Reference Number by 1 December 2020 at Hong Kong Time 12:00:00 before submitting applications for PhD admission to their desired universities.
Applicants may choose up to two programmes/departments at one or two universities for PhD study under HKPFS 2021/22. They should comply with the admission requirements of their selected universities and programmes.
As the deadlines for applications to some of the universities may immediately follow that of the Initial Application, candidates should submit initial applications as early as possible to ensure that they have sufficient time to submit applications to universities.
- Kotzen Scholarships at Simmons University 2021 | Fully Funded
- University of Miami Stamps Scholarship 2020 | Fully Funded
- University of Nebraska Omaha Scholarships 2020
- Monash University Silver Jubilee PhD Scholarship 2021 (Fully Funded)
- Fairleigh Dickinson University Scholarships For International Students 2020
- University of Queensland PhD Scholarship for International Students 2020/21
- Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Scholarships (QES) at Universities Canada 2020