The Indian Council for Cultural Relations is an autonomous organisation of the Government of India, involved in India’s external cultural relations, through cultural exchange with other countries and their peoples.
Indian Government through the ICCR – Indian Council for Cultural Relations call for application for PhD African applicants. The programme is intended for African students and scholars interested in attending higher education courses in India. The scholarship is available for PhD and Postdoctoral level studies at Indian universities and higher education institutes.
The Government of India’s initiative to enhance the academic opportunities for African students in India, by increasing the number of scholarships have been announced at the inaugural plenary of India – Africa Forum Summit held in New Delhi in April 2008, by the Honorable Prime Minister of India.
Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) Scholarship Details:
Target group: Africans students
Field of study and Host Institutions: Courses and programmes available at universities listed on the Scholarship Portal
Duration: Candidate’s programme duration.
To be taken at (country): India
Scholarship Benefits:Selected applicants for the Indian Government ICCR Africa Scholarship will be provided with the following benefits depending on their situation:
- Health insurance;
- Tuition fee waiver;
- Living allowances (Indian currency):
- M.Phil., PhD, M.Tech, M.E
- Stipend (Per Month) Revised rates: 22,000
- Contingent Grant(per annum): 12,500
- Thesis & Dissertation expenses: 7,000
Eligibility Criteria:To apply for the Indian Government ICCR Scholarship, the applicant must have the following profile:
- be a citizen of a country on the above list.
- Students applying for doctoral/ post-doctoral courses should include a synopsis of the proposed area of research.
- Students wishing to study performing arts should, if possible, enclose video/ audio cassettes of their recorded performances.
- Candidates must have adequate knowledge of English.
- ICCR will not entertain applications which are sent to ICCR directly by the students or which are sent by local Embassies/High Commissions in New Delhi.
- Priority will be given to students who have never studied in India before.
- Candidates may note that Indian universities/educational institution are autonomous and independent and hence have their own eligibility criteria which have to be fulfilled. Please also note that acceptance of an application by the University is also not a guarantee of admission. A scholarship is awarded only when admission is confirmed by ICCR.
- The student must carry a proper visa. Students should ensure that they get the correct visa from the Indian Embassy/High Commission. Government of India guideline stipulate that if a scholar arrives without proper visa and his/her actual admission at the University/Institute does not materialize, he/she will be deported to his/her country.
- Before departing for India the scholars should seek a full briefing from the Indian Diplomatic Mission in their country about living conditions in India/the details of scholarship/the type and duration of the course to which he/she is admitted. Scholars should inform the Indian Embassy/High Commission of their travel schedule well in advance so that ICCR can make the reception and other arrangements for them.
- Scholars are advised to bring some money with them to meet incidental expenditures on arrival in India.
- The scholars who are awarded scholarships should bring with them all documents relating to their qualification in original for verification by the respective college/university at the time of admission.
Supporting Documents:The application should be complete in all respects, with all the required information and all necessary supporting documents, as listed below:
- A recent passport size photograph not more than 3.5×4.5cm (25kb) should be uploaded on the application form in the space provided. The photograph should be with white background and without spectacles.
- Copies of all academic qualifications, certificates and mark sheets, including those relating to the school-leaving examination must be uploaded.
- A certificate of physical fitness in the prescribed form.
- Recommendations/character certificates from existing school/University etc
- Certified copies of relevant pages of candidate’s valid passport showing photograph, name, contact details, date of issue, date of expiry and place of issue. Please ensure that your passport is valid for the duration of the course for which you have applied.
- At the time of uploading the required documents kindly ensure that all documents uploaded correctly in the given module e.g. module for educational certificates should only be uploaded with the educational certificates only not other documents such as passport copies or photographs etc.
- Original Certificates/ documents must be carried by the Applicant if admitted for verification by the concerned university/ Institute at the time of joining. This mandatory requirement otherwise admission can be cancelled by the University/ Institute and the ICCR will not be responsible for this.
- In case of Engineering courses, you must have Physics, Chemistry & Mathematics (PCM) in your school leaving examinations as this is mandatory for Engineering courses.
How to Apply
Applicants must read instructions before applying. Detailed application guidelines, procedure and norms governing the ICCR Scholarships on the A2A Portal.
At the home page of A2A Portal, click on Registration and select Applicant Registration, then “Yes” to proceed for Registration.CLICK HERE FOR MORE SCHOLARSHIPS