International Medical Corps Worldwide is a global humanitarian alliance that comprises the resources and capabilities of two independent affiliate organizations, International Medical Corps and International Medical Corps UK. Together, our mission is to save lives and relieve suffering through the provision of health care through training.
International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization dedicated to improving the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in under-served communities worldwide. Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and Nurses,
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nurse
Location: Dambao, Borno
- IMC’s curative and preventive nutrition intervention has expanded to 15 OTPs in Damboa, Jere, Konduga and MMC LGAs.
- The curative component targets children 6-59 months with SAM. Community health volunteers screen and refer children with a MUAC <11.5cm or WHZ < -3 or those with grade + or ++ or edema to OTP sites for treatment.
- SAM cases are treated at the OTP using RUTF, deworming and Vitamin supplementation. Children with severe acute malnutrition and medical complications or those <6 months are referred to stabilization centers.
- Also, caregivers of children 6-59 months are trained on how to measure MUAC. If a caregiver identifies a child with SAM, these are re-assessed by the CHV, and if confirmed, the child is referred to the OTP.
- These children receive nutrition support through RUTF based on their weight, treated for infections using routine medication and screened and treated for malaria.
- The severely acutely malnourished who are 24-59 months are dewormed.
- All severely acutely malnourished without edema receive routine vitamin A supplementation and zinc supplements for those that present with diarrhea, while those presenting with malnutrition and medical complications are to stabilization centers for specialized treatment.
- The principal objective of the Stabilization Centre (SC) Nurse role is to manage acute malnutrition as part of the primary health services in line with the national and international guidelines.
- The SC Nurse is responsible for nutrition rehabilitation of the admitted children through the treatment of medical complications of Severe Acute Malnutrition and prevention of further deterioration of the nutrition situation through the provision of therapeutic feeds, routine and specialized medicines, health and nutrition counselling.
- The SC Nurse is also responsible for ensuring the quality of services through capacity building and technical support to the SC nutrition assistants in the management of complications associated with Severe Acute Malnutrition in line with the SC national and international protocols.
- Ensure comprehensive medical examination, vital signs, many medicines and treatment according to the protocols.
- Following and adhering to the current protocols on drug administration, i.e. antibiotics, antimalarial, anthelminthic.
- Ensuring timely therapeutic preparation and administering the appropriate feeds and medicines for the malnourished children in the SC.
- Prepare and update the medical and nutritional records forward rounds daily.
- Ensuring all criteria are adhered to and documented, including admission, discharge and transfer to and from the OTP.
- Complete and updating the patient file to ensure tracking of patient progress.
- Compiling the statistical data (admission, default, cured, absent, death) and drafting a report on activities.
- Maintain supply consumer reports.
- Carry out daily nutritional status monitoring of severely malnourished children as prescribed in the protocol.
- Provide appropriate nutrition counselling and health education to the mothers and caretakers in the SC based on the protocols and guidelines.
- Ensuring adequate availability of all drugs and nutrition supply and ensuring stock is pre-positioned as planned.
- Consulting and informing the SC Doctor and/or Nutrition Manager on issues that may affect the smooth operations of the stabilization Centre.
- Ensuring proper handing over of duties within the SC.
Code of Conduct:
- It is our shared responsibility and obligation to prevent matters involving Sexual Exploitation & Abuse, trafficking in Persons, Child Safeguarding and any suggested violation of our Code of Conduct, which may include Conflicts of Interest, Fraud, Corruption or Harassment.
- If you see, hear or are made aware of any suggested activities, then you should report.
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse:
- Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within IMC and amongst beneficiaries served by IMC.
- Compliance & Ethics: Promotes and encourages a culture of respect and ethics throughout the International Medical Corps. As applicable to the position, it maintains a clear understanding of International Medical Corps’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity.
Qualifications and Experience
- Registered Nurse with a Degree in Nursing from a recognized Nursing institute.
- Over two (2) years’ experience in CMAM and IYCF programmes
- Excellent report-writing skills
- Fluent in written and spoken English and Hausa
- Commitment to and understanding of IMC’s aims, values and principles.
- NYSC Certificate or Exemption letter
- Valid and current practicing license.
- Strong communication skills: oral, written and presentation skills.
- Should be a team player and culturally sensitive.
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, email and utilization of the internet
- Strong leadership, team building, conflict resolution and ability to deliver IMC’s strategic objectives.
- Extremely flexible, and have the ability to cope with stressful situations
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications addressed to the “Human Resource Coordinator, International Medical Corps” via the email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are an equal opportunity organization, So Borno State-Based candidates are Strongly encouraged to apply for this position
- Candidates MUST state the status and location they are using for as the subject of their email, application letter and curriculum vitae should be in a single Microsoft Word Document; otherwise, applications will not be considered.
- Only Short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- Position: Nigerian nationals only
For more information, visit the Official Website.
Application Deadline: 19th June 2020.