Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In a disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within now, and for the future.
Application is invited for;
Job Title: Humanitarian Response Director
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
General Position Summary
Essential Job Responsibilities
Strategy and Design
- Manage and oversee the implementation of OFDA, FFP and ECHO or other emergency grants targeting vulnerable populations in Northeastern Nigeria, including high-level management of the grant to ensure the programs are on time, scope and budget.
- Lead the design and implementation of new emergency programs based on needs analysis, assessments and sectoral information
- Work with program teams to grow the visibility of MCN humanitarian programs with a focus on donor and government relations
- Proactively keep abreast of humanitarian issues and priorities in NE Nigeria and ensure Mercy Corps is well positioned and prepared to respond
- Participate in Mercy Corps Nigeria’s strategic planning processes and ensure key humanitarian issues are prioritized
- Represent Mercy Corps at key humanitarian meetings, attend coordination meetings and maintain regular contact and networking with relevant NGO, the government of Nigeria, UN, multilateral and bilateral donors
- Report on program progress, obstacles and recommendations as required and produce regular updates and success stories for dissemination to donors
- Promote and adhere to the principles and objectives of Mercy Corps.
- Conduct yourself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Provide high level and management support to team around food security, nutrition, cash as a modality and humanitarian best practices.
- Maintain awareness of important global humanitarian issues, gaps, and identify opportunities for innovative solutions to share with Mercy Corps Nigeria Senior Leadership
- Work closely with the Technical Support Lead and Advisors to plan and prioritise support and integration across programs
- Guide team to ensure adherence to donors’ compliance guidelines
- Ensure all MC administration, logistical, human resources and financial procedures are followed in relation to the implementation of humanitarian grants.
- Integrate conflict prevention and peacebuilding programming techniques in emergency and humanitarian response programs
- Integrate gender-sensitive and protection programming activities in emergency and humanitarian response programs
- Conduct regular site visits to ensure the proper delivery of services.
- Assist with security monitoring to ensure MC staff, assets and partners are able to work securely.
- Train key Mercy Corps Nigeria staff in humanitarian principles and best practices and proactively identify staff for relevant humanitarian training
- Facilitate the synthesis of best practices and lessons learned and promote an overall culture of learning through systematic analysis and reflection on program data.
- Support documentation, sharing, and integration of lessons learned into strategic design and implementation.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Maintain an active advisory role with consortium partner program and MEL teams to help guide towards robust and relevant data collection.
- Build the capacity of team members across all consortium partner staff through the circulation of resources and ad hoc mentorship.
Supervisory Responsibility: OFDA Program Manager, FFP Program Manager
Reports Directly To: Director Field Implementation
Works Directly With: Program Teams, Technical Support Lead and Technical Sector Advisors, Country MEL Manager, PaQ Team, Finance and Operation team
Knowledge and Experience
- MA/S or equivalent in international development or a related field preferred.
- Minimum of seven years’ experience in a management role in international development or humanitarian/early recovery programming.
- Comprehensive understanding of donors such as OFDA, FFP, ECHO, protocols and emergency donor ways of working and funding mechanisms required.
- Previous experience in writing humanitarian response proposals and rapidly designing emergency response programs
- Demonstrated success in programs related to the emergency response required
- Thorough understanding of the context and current environment in Nigeria essential
- Proven managerial skills required
- Demonstrated ability to function as a social entrepreneur and proven success with building, managing and leading a team of professionals and the ability to function as a team player among peers.
- Effective verbal and written communication, multi-tasking, organizational, prioritization skills are necessary.
- History of working effectively and respectfully with host country government, the private sector, INGO and NGO partners in complex environments.
- Prior work experience in Africa strongly preferred; an ability to work comfortably, effectively and creatively within the cultural environment of Ethiopia and areas of poor security required.
- Experience using systemic monitoring and gender/conflict sensitivity techniques and dynamism in working with a multicultural team environment
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should Click here to Apply
Visit the Official Website for more details