SOAS University of London is the leading Higher Education institution in Europe specialising in the study of Asia, Africa and the Near and Middle East. The Centre of African Studies offers 2 PhD scholarships to African nationals as part of the Governance for Development in Africa Initiative funded by the Mo Ibrahim Foundation.
Applications are invited for PhD studentships focused on the area of state capacities, governance and bureaucracy for development. This may include projects designed to understand public sector governance capabilities, political settlements, state-business relations, the governance of state-owned enterprises, the governance of development policy design and implementation, and so on. But applications must focus on the public sector/state/civil service, on governance, and on development.
The scholarship provides for fees for three years and an annual bursary of £16,000 per year. The scholarship also covers visa costs, HIS and TB (if undertaken), provided receipts are submitted to the Centre of African Studies office.
Eligibility & Requirements:
In order to be considered for funding, applicants must first secure an UNCONDITIONAL OFFER for the PhD by applying directly to the SOAS Doctoral School.
The eligible PhD are only those within the following departments:
- Development Studies
- International Relations/Politics
- CISD (Centre for International Studies and Diplomacy)
- DEFIMS (Department for Financial and Management Studies )
- Distance Learning: CEFIMS(Centre for Financial and Management Studies), DEFIMS
Please provide the following documents:
- A copy of the unconditional offer received from SOAS admissions office
- CV (please include your email address)
- 2 pages max statement outlining knowledge and interest in governance-related issues
- Your research proposal (as sent to the SOAS Admissions Office)
- One academic reference (to be sent directly by the referee to firstname.lastname@example.org)
How to Apply
The application must be completed with the supporting documents
Candidates will be assessed on academic merit by a panel consisting of SOAS academic members. The assessment of your application will be based on the information in your scholarship application.
NOTE: By 31st of March you must have an Unconditional offer for PhD in order to be considered for funding. Note that it takes 8 weeks to receive an offer of admission for PhD, therefore to apply for the PhD at least or before January 2021.
For More Information: Visit the SOAS University of London Official Webpage
The deadline for submission of application is 31st March 2021.