Stellenbosch University Graduate School of Economic and Management Sciences’ call for applications is open for full-time PhD scholarship positions at Stellenbosch University. Stellenbosch University (SU) is home to an academic community of 29 000 students (including 4 000 international students from 100 countries) as well as 3 000 permanent staff members (including 1 000 academics) on five campuses.
The University is amongst South Africa’s leading tertiary institutions based on research output, student pass rates and rated scientists, and is recognised internationally as an academic institution of excellence. It boasts the highest weighted research output per full-time academic staff member of all South African universities and the second-highest number of scientists in South Africa who have been rated by the National Research Foundation (NRF). It also has the highest student success rate in the country.
The Graduate School allocates these scholarships by considering each application on its merit.
Stellenbosch University GEM Scholarship Details
Host University: Stellenbosch University
Eligible Nationality: Any Nationalities
Degree Type: PhD Students
Duration: 3 Years
Maximum of R138 000 per year for three years.
Candidates must meet the following minimum criteria to be considered for a scholarship:
- A candidate must meet the minimum criteria for admission to a PhD at Stellenbosch University. This requires a master’s degree in the relevant discipline or, in exceptional circumstances, an equivalent qualification.
- Candidates must have achieved a grade of 65% in their master’s programmes.
- Candidates must be under forty years of age when the programme commences in January.
- Only applications in one of the Faculty’s Research Themes will be considered.
- All students who meet the above criteria will be considered.
Application Process – GEM Scholarships
Follow these steps to apply for the 2021 cohort of the Graduate School:
- Read the criteria for eligibility stated above.
- Fill in the Application form.
- You will be required to write a letter motivating your suitability for the scholarship (maximum length: one A4 page), as well as a research concept note (no maximum extent) on one or more selected research topics or problems which you intend to study in the course of your doctoral programme. These should be completed on the application form in the relevant sections.
- Please consult the 2020 Research Themes to guide you in choosing a research topic. Research topics outside the listed research themes can be accommodated only if it falls within the current research themes that are active in one of the Faculty’s academic departments.
- Please note that scholarships can only be awarded where the Faculty is able to appoint a suitable supervisor for the topic to be studied.
- Submission of an application does not guarantee entry. There are limited scholarships available, and awards are made on a competitive basis.
- Please ensure that your three references are informed that their referee reports stating your capability to complete doctoral studies should be sent directly to the Graduate School via email (GEM@sun.ac.za) on or before 31 July 2020.
- Send your completed application form electronically to GEM@sun.ac.za.
- Due to the large number of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you have not received communication from the Graduate School Office by 16 October 2020, the application should be considered as unsuccessful.
- The new intake of PhD will commence their studies on 20 January 2021.
Graduate School Office contact details Email: GEM@sun.ac.za
For More Information: Visit the Official Webpage
Application Deadline: 31 July, 2020.