The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves. It provides expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with an increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. It promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Headquartered in New York City, the status of UNDP is that of an executive board within the United Nations General Assembly. The UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states. The organization operates in 177 countries, where it works with local governments to meet development challenges and develop local capacity.
United Nations Development Programme are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Administration Assistant
Job ID: 30706
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Practice Area – Job Family: Management – ADMINISTRATION
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type: Common System
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
- Under the guidance of the Country Representative, the Administrative Assistant is responsible for ensuring the effective delivery of, finance, general administration, human resources, procurement, and logistical services support to IFAD ICO and operations consistent with UN rules and regulations.
- He/She supports the ICO in fostering effective collaboration within the teams, at headquarters and with other UN agencies, promoting a client-oriented approach and ensuring optimal performance and efficient delivery of services.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Efficient administrative support
- Budget management
- Support to supply and assets management
- Logistical support
Ensures implementation of operational strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of activities with IFAD rules, regulations, policies and strategies;
- Provision of inputs to IFAD’s business processes mapping and internal standard operating procedures (SOPs);
- Provision of inputs to the plan;
Ensures effective and efficient functioning of the IFAD office, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization and coordination of human resources-related activities including support on recruitment activities;
- Coordination of admin arrangements;
- Management of up-to-date accounting system/records to ensure timely, accurate and reliable monthly financial reporting;
- Monitor expenditure levels under the approved Cost Plan/Quarterly Financial Authorizations and prepare monthly reconciliations with FAO/UNDP charges for all payments/expenditures.
- Performing Travel Administrator, preparation of POs, travel and other administrative functions.
- Provide routine Administrative & logistical support to the all units/staff on all matters related to general office administration, transport, protocol/visas applications, duty-free privileges & custom clearances for office goods and for staff personal effects.
Ensures effective administrative and logistical support, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Administrative support to conferences, workshops, retreats;
- Maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials;
- Extraction of data from various sources;
- Support with protocol matters, registration of staff, coordination with local authorities, on space and other administrative matters
Provides support to office maintenance and assets management, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Ensure that office inventory database is updated on a regular basis and that both the financial and physical status of all office Non-Expendable Properties is regularly reported
- Maintenance of records on assets management;
- Maintenance of files and records relevant to office maintenance;
Support knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the IFAD office, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Training of staff on UN rules and regulations and related procedures;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice
Impact of Results:
- The key results have an impact on the efficiency of the IFAD office. Accurate presentation of information strengthens the capacity of the IFAD office and promotes the image of the UN as an effective contributor to the development of the country.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Shares knowledge and experience;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to perform a variety of standard specialized and non-specialized tasks and work processes that are fully documented, researched, recorded and reported;
- Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations;
- Strong IT skills;
- Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering, implementation of new systems;
- Ability to review a variety of data, identify and adjust discrepancies, identify and resolve operational problems;
- Ability to perform work of confidential nature and handle a large volume of work;
Leadership and Self-Management:
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Remains calm, in control and good-humoured even under pressure;
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary education is required.
- Certification in Administration, University Degree in Business or Public Administration is desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- Up to 4 years of relevant professional experience in business, public administration, Human Resources, logistics, programme support service or other related area is required.
- Experience in using UN ERP system (Umoja) in the area of travel and procurement is highly desirable.
- Good computer skills (Windows, MS Word, Excel/Spreadsheets, the internet/Web) is required.
- Good knowledge of Administration/Operations is required. Experience working with the UN or other international organizations is desirable.
- Fluency in English language and national language of the duty station.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for the United Nations Development Programme
Application Deadline 1st June 2020.